Tuesday 30 January 2018

Ranking the Oscar Nominees - Best Original Song

5. 'Stand Up for Something' - Marshall  (Music by Diane Warren; Lyrics by Lonnie Lynn & Diane Warren)

Obviously I have no idea what the context of the song as used in the film is. It's a decent ballad, though nothing remarkable, and I imagine it must've been used in the credits of the film given how modern-feeling it is. 

4. 'Mighty River' - Mudbound (Music and Lyrics by Mary J. Blige, Raphael Saadiq & Taura Stinson)
Much better suited to the tone of the film I'd imagine, and I probably prefer Blige's work here than her actual performance in the film. This is another ballad, a good one that captures the feel of the film's time period, though it's for the best they didn't actually include it in the film itself.

3. 'This is Me' - The Greatest Showman (Music and Lyrics by Benj Pasek & Justin Paul)
As a song in itself it's pretty wonderful, an entertaining show-stopper that's catchy enough. As its used in the film however, it comes across as exceedingly sanctimonious and hypocritical. So good song, bad use, but a bad film to boot, so I can't fault the song itself too much.

2. 'Mystery of Love' - Call Me By Your Name (Music and Lyrics by Sufjan Stevens)
Great song, though not my favourite from the film, and the way it is used isn't particularly inspired. Nevertheless, Stevens' understated and soothing vocals accompanying the carefree melody is lovely, and I thoroughly enjoy how it slowly builds up to a subtly emotional bridge. An exceedingly enjoyable tune to listen to.

1. 'Remember Me' - Coco (Music and Lyrics by Kristen Anderson-Lopez & Robert Lopez)

EASILY my favourite of the nominees, both as a song in itself - the studio version sung by Miguel is great too - and how it's utilized in the film is downright amazing, as in so many different contexts it comes across in so many different ways, a sprightly showstopping tune, a heartbreaking lullaby, and an inspiring wake-up call.

1 comment:

  1. I really like This is Me and it’s actually one of the few scenes of the movie I actually kind of like. I thought Mystery of Love was a great song, but I liked Visions of Gideon more from Call Me By Your Name.

    ReplyDelete