Sunday 26 February 2017

How Many Oscars does 'La La Land' deserve?


Best Picture

Yes. It may not be my favourite out of the nominees (Hacksaw Ridge would be my personal choice, but in terms of unlikely upsets which I preferred over La La Land, I think Moonlight and Manchester by the Sea stand the meagrest of chances), but there's no chance it's not taking this. It's my #6 in a fairly strong year so I can't complain, I certainly enjoyed it a lot.

Best Director - Damien Chazelle

Yes. Again, not my favourite choice out of the nominees, but since there's no chance they're giving Mad Max the win (I'm surprised he was even nominated, glad they enjoyed Hacksaw), I'm perfectly content with my second favourite out of the nominees garnering the win.

Best Actor - Ryan Gosling

You know what? Yes. He's actually ranks fifth out of all the nominees for me (http://actorvsactor.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/ranking-oscar-nominees-best-actor-2017.html), which means nothing in a year where this category is stacked. All the nominees give one of their best performances - in fact, Denzel Washington gives a career best, which is saying something, Casey Affleck and Andrew Garfield gave their second-best performances, Viggo gave his fourth best performance - and Gosling's performance too has only grown with time, it's easily my third favourite of his behind Drive and Lars and the Real Girl. I absolutely loved his work here and you know, if they decide to award him the Academy Award, go for it! (Although I will say, Joel Edgerton should get a special mention on the evening or something)

Best Actress - Emma Stone 

Yes, yes, yes. It's hard to pick between her and Isabelle Huppert for me, personally, but I love the fact that a performance like Stone's is gaining such awards traction. I love a good big dramatic role as much as any other, but I also love watching just a charismatic, fun, joyous but also so heartfelt presence like Stone give it her all onscreen (which she really does with 'Audition'). Read my extended thoughts on her here - http://actorvsactor.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/ranking-oscar-nominees-best-actress-2016.html

Best Original Screenplay

No. It's a good screenplay, but easily just fourth out of the nominees for me. Would much rather see 20th Century Women, or particularly Hell or High Water and Manchester by the Sea take it home. Particularly the former, since it's the best aspect of a strong film.

Best Original Score

Yes. Again, it's tough to decide which I prefer, the score to this or that incredible score to Moonlight especially after re-watching the latter last night. But La La Land is a loving tribute to music, its score underscores this beautifully, and it deserves the award for 'Epilogue' alone.

Best Original Song - 'Audition (The Fools Who Dream)' 

Yes. The most powerful moment in the film is when Emma Stone belts out 'So bring on the rebels/ The ripples from pebbles/ The painters and poets and plays'. It's a great song, so well-written, that really strikes you in the feelings so beautifully.

Best Original Song - 'City of Stars' 

No. I quite liked this song to begin with, but with time I've come to find it a wee bit forgettable. I prefer Moana's 'How Far I'll Go' to this anyway, and from La La Land I think 'A Lovely Night' and 'Someone in the Crowd' would've been far worthier contenders.

Best Sound Editing

No. I mean, it's fine, it's decent, but it never stood out to me since so much of the film is sound mixing as opposed to sound editing. Anyway, either Hacksaw Ridge or Arrival should take this.

Best Sound Mixing

No. If it wasn't going up against Hacksaw Ridge, and Arrival, two of the best purely sounding films of the decade, I'd say yeah. But it is, so nay.

Best Production Design

Yes. It's actually my personal overall win for the year. Splendid stuff that adds so much flair to a contemporary setting.

Best Cinematography

Yes. I mean, I'd love it if Silence wins, but that 'aint happening, so La La Land and its beautiful colour schemesand dynamic musical sequence camerawork can take this easily, and I couldn't be happier.

Best Costume Design

Yes. Like its production design, rather marvelous in how it manages to create such a sense of old-school charm with contemporary clothing, and it's also my personal overall win for the year.

Best Film Editing

Yes, This is an incredibly strong category, Hell or High Water being my fifth choice of the lot says a lot about how strong it is. La La Land, Arrival and Moonlight are brilliantly edited films, but I have to admit Hacksaw Ridge excels for me in particular in this category. But hey, La La Land is a great choice too.   

Verdict: I believe La La Land deserves to win 10 Oscars. Your thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. The only one I may possibly disagree with is Sound Mixing, but I'd give it to Arrival or Hacksaw Ridge any day of the week.

    ReplyDelete