Tuesday 24 January 2017

Oscar Nominations/My Oscar Reactions: Six Categories of Feeling

YAAAS: Extreme joy, of the 'YAS, Isabelle Huppert winning awards' variety.
Yay: Happy with the nomination, of the 'Yay, happy for you Emma, we couldn't be together but we'll always have La La Land'' variety.
Mixed feelings: Of the, 'I love my onscreen husband, but really he's an asshole and I'm Viola Davis' variety.
Nay: Not particularly enthused or happy with the nomination, of the 'Nay I don't want to move to Boston, I got two girlfriends, Casey' variety.
Silence: Of the, 'I haven't seen this so I'll keep silent for now' variety (I'll put in a curious Yƍsuke Kubozuka here)
Clusterfuck: of the J.K. Simmons variety, reserved for only the most disastrous nominations.

NOTE: All nominees are in alphabetical order. I'll release my rankings and my personal rankings for each category over the next month or so. 

Best Picture
Hacksaw Ridge
Manchester by the Sea
Moonlight
Arrival
Fences
Hell or High Water
La La Land
Lion
Hidden Figures

Best Director
Damien Chazelle, La La Land
Mel Gibson, Hacksaw Ridge
Denis Villeneuve, Arrival
Barry Jenkins, Moonlight
Kenneth Lonergan, Manchester by the Sea

Best Actor
Casey Affleck, Manchester by the Sea
Andrew Garfield, Hacksaw Ridge 
Ryan Gosling, La La Land
Viggo Mortensen, Captain Fantastic
Denzel Washington, Fences
Best Actress
Ruth Negga, Loving
Natalie Portman, Jackie
Emma Stone, La La Land
Meryl Streep, Florence Foster Jenkins (I'll explain very soon, after I've seen Elle)
Isabelle Huppert, Elle

Best Supporting Actor
Mahershala Ali, Moonlight
Lucas Hedges, Manchester by the Sea
Jeff Bridges, Hell or High Water
Dev Patel, Lion
Michael Shannon, Nocturnal Animals

Best Supporting Actress
Viola Davis, Fences
Naomie Harris, Moonlight
Nicole Kidman, Lion
Michelle Williams, Manchester by the Sea
Octavia Spencer, Hidden Figures

Best Adapted Screenplay
Eric Heisserer, Arrival
Barry Jenkins and Alvin McCraney, Moonlight
August Wilson, Fences
Luke Davies, Lion
Allison Schroeder and Theodore Melfi, Hidden Figures

Best Original Screenplay
Taylor Sheridan, Hell or High Water
Kenneth Lonergan, Manchester by the Sea
Damien Chazelle, La La Land
Mike Mills, 20th Century Women
Yorgos Lanthimos and Efthimis Filippou, The Lobster

Best Animated Feature
Kubo and the Two Strings
Moana
My Life as a Zucchini
The Red Turtle
Zootopia

Best Foreign Language Film
A Man Called Ove (Sweden)
Land of Mine (Denmark)
The Salesman (Iran)
Tanna (Australia)
Toni Erdmann (Germany)

Best Documentary
Fire At Sea
I Am Not Your Negro
Life, Animated
OJ: Made in America
13th

Best Original Song
La La Land - Audition by Justin Hurwitz, Benj Pasek and Justin Paul
La La Land - City of Stars by Justin Hurwitz, Benj Pasek and Justin Paul
Trolls - Can't Stop the Feeling by Justin Timberlake, Max Martin and Karl Johan Schuster (I didn't actually realize this was a film song, well it's a decent enough song but really, this over 'Drive it Like You Stole It'??
Moana - How Far I'll Go by Lin-Manuel Miranda
Jim: The James Foley Story - The Empty Chair by J Ralph and Sting

Best Original Score
La La Land by Justin Hurwitz
Moonlight by Nicholas Britell
Lion by Dustin O'Halloran and Hauschka
Jackie by Mica Levi
Passengers by Thomas Newton

Best Cinematography
Arrival
La La Land
Lion
Moonlight
Silence

Best Costume Design
Allied
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Jackie
La La Land
Florence Foster Jenkins

Best Makeup/Hairstyling
Star Trek Beyond
A Man Called Ove
Suicide Squad (You know what, I'm going to be a complete dick and say this is a bad nomination, purely because of that aesthetic design for the Joker, even though nothing else was technically all that bad and I did like the Harley Quinn makeup/hairstyle stuff)
Best Sound Editing
Arrival
Deepwater Horizon
Hacksaw Ridge
La La Land
Sully

Best Sound Mixing
Arrival
Hacksaw Ridge
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
La La Land (I'll need a re-watch to determine this, though)
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi

Best Production Design
Hail, Caesar!
La La Land
Arrival
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Passengers

Best Visual Effects
Doctor Strange
The Jungle Book
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Deepwater Horizon
Kubo and the Two Strings

Best Editing
Hacksaw Ridge
Moonlight
La La Land
Arrival
Hell or High Water
Best Animated Short
Blind Vaysha
Borrowed Time
Pear Cider and Cigarettes
Pearl
Piper

Best Documentary Short
4.1 Miles
Extremis
Joe's Violin
Watani: My Homeland
The White Helmets

Best Live Action Short
Ennemis Interieurs
La Femme et le TGV
Silent Nights
Sing
Timecode


Conclusion: All in all, fairly decent set of nominees. One massive snub I'm quite upset about, but otherwise it's all good. (EDIT) I've relinquished my use of J.K. Simmons for this time round, maybe next year...

6 comments:

  1. Loved this article :D can't wait to hear your full thoughts on the actors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. =D nice one, only thing is you have put Original Song twice =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do you think of Jackie in general? I thought the score was amazing and Portman gave the best performance of the year for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good and I was impressed how beautiful and stylized it was. I never found it amazing, and some of the editing choices and pacing was a bit off for me, but I'll agree the score is pretty good, and Portman was brilliant.

      Delete