Thursday 8 December 2016

Ranking: 'Love Actually' Subplots + 2010s Love Actually


10. Sarah, Karl and Michael
I really like the idea behind this story, actually, but it's not executed very well. A surprisingly out of place Laura Linney doesn't improve matters, but the whole section is oddly bland and doesn't fit in well with the other stories at all. There's a sense of awkwardness to it that makes the whole conflict of loves seem like mere plot filler, which I'm sure was not the intention.

How could it have been improved? It's more of an editing and screenwriting thing, I'd say: the filmmakers just needed to find a way to tonally integrate it better into the plot and also have it divided more evenly across the film.

2010s Love Actually

Sarah: Tina Fey
Karl: Diego Luna


9. Colin, Tony and the American girls
Not going to lie, I do derive a certain enjoyment out of watching the exploits of Colin, god of sex Kris Marshall is a funny guy, after all. Having said that, it's one of the weaker segments since it's almost too ridiculous, it really doesn't reach any sort of conflict, and adds little to the overall film. I guess it's a bit more interesting if you imagine the whole thing to be a dream, a la Lost, and everyone wakes up including Colin back to their former lives.

How could it have been improved? Honestly, just completely excising it wouldn't have harmed the film.

2010s Love Actually
Colin: James Buckley


8. David and Natalie
I'll admit I normally find Hugh Grant just too skeevy an onscreen presence to really take to him in anything besides About a Boy, where that side of him is actually utilized to good effect, and his career-best performance in Florence Foster Jenkins where he is surprisingly charismatic, endearing and rather moving as a genuinely kind man. Anyway, despite playing the new Prime Minister David, who everyone apparnetly loves, I don't really find his story all that engaging or his romance with the office aide Natalie (Martine McCutcheon) all that compelling. There's a few nice moments like David's speech to the American president (played by an also very skeevy Billy Bob Thornton), but all in all for the major subplot of the film it's a tad bit underwhelming.

How could it have been improved? Casting a different duo with a more engaging dynamic, I raise a vote for Hugh Laurie as the Prime Minister, and Sally Hawkins as his love interest. Obviously it'd be completely changed in terms of tone and vibe but I wouldn't mind that.

2010s Love Actually
David: Tom Hiddleston
Natalie: Andrea Riseborough

7. John and Judy
Even though it's not given a great deal of screen time, Martin Freeman and Joanna Page are a particularly endearing couple, the concept behind they're coupling is rather funny, and all in all though it's slight I think it adds to the film a lot more than it needed to.

How could it have been improved? I think this segment served its purpose completely. 

2010s Love Actually: oh just get these two together again.

6. Rufus
Just two incredibly short scenes really, but I really enjoy Rowan Atkinson in just about any given film and this is no exception. I find his scene with Alan Rickman to be an utterly charming combination of two very different comedic styles and I love his little participation in Daniel/Sam's subplot.

How could it have been improved? More Rowan Atkinson, and perhaps a cameo for Stephen Fry.

2010s Love Actually
Rufus: Richard Ayoade

5. Juliet, Peter and Mark
I'll admit as re-watches of 'Love Actually' go by, this particular subplot, while still impactful, is just not as dynamic as some of the others. The final, wordless scene between Juliet and Mark is rather beautifully handled, but I can't say the rest of it is all that memorable. In addition, as a Keira Knightley apologist I'll admit she does seem a bit out of her element here at certain points. That final scene is lovely and heartbreakingly handled, though.

How could it have been improved? Depict a bit more of the friendship between Mark and Peter as well as the antagonism between Juliet and Mark.

2010s Love Actually
Juliet: Kaya Scodelario 
Mark: Daniel Kaluuya

4. Billy Mack and Joe
Just a fun little segment about a different sort of 'love', that of friendship and camaraderie. Bill Nighy is quite remarkable as the uncouth and loveable ageing rock star, and especially if you contrast it with his next collaboration with Richard Curtis on 'About Time'. He handles this side of things in a charismatic fashion, making this suitably lighthearted segment carry the laughs and surprising poignancy in its last scene with aplomb.

How could it have been improved? Again, more Bill Nighy, but we got that with About Time.

2010s Love Actually
Billy Mack: Ray Winstone
Joe: Eddie Marsan

3. Harry, Karen and Mia
Over time, I've grown to appreciate this section all the more. It's in many ways the least 'fun' section of the film because it's the most serious in tone, and deals with the more 'unappealing' side of love, infidelity. Alan Rickman and Emma Thompson do a really good job at making this section not feel completely out of sync with the other storylines by having a nice comedic rapport in interactions with other characters, and a certain heartfelt if not overly passionate love between their characters. Of course, things go awry courtesy of a necklace and a Joni Mitchell CD, and I think the way the film handles the fallout from this conflict is surprisingly mature and moving. Not the most 'enjoyable' segment, yes, but probably the most realistic and thought-provoking one. Also, once again, R.I.P. Alan Rickman. Not to spoil anything, but won't be the last time I cover a film with him this Christmas season. 

2010s Love Actually
Harry: Paul Bettany
Karen: Sally Hawkins


2. Jamie and Aurelia
In many ways the most 'conventional' love story of the lot, with even a homage to Pride and Prejudice thrown into the mix with Colin Firth once again diving into a lake to the swooning crones of many. The romance between disgruntled, recently single writer Jamie (Firth) and Aurelia (LĂșcia Moniz) is not too complex but it's absolutely winning, and the emotional payoff to their romance is absolutely worth the wait. What I really like about this subplot is that the romance never feels forced or overly 'romanticized', and never takes itself too seriously, making it both fun and emotionally involving.

2010s Love Actually
Jamie: Domhnall Gleeson
Aurelia: Sonoya Mizuno

1. Daniel, Sam, Joanna, and Carol
This subplot is actually even more heartbreaking in retrospect when you look over Liam Neeson's life story - I've always found it extremely admirable how he kept his head down and continued to give such excellent work in the years after his wife's tragic death, and I think the message in this subplot is along the same lines: one must keep going. Neeson and Thomas Brodie-Sangster make for a particularly sweet father and son pairing, and most importantly never make it overly sanctimonious; it always feels very honest. You really feel joy at both characters getting their happy endings, and in many ways I consider this to be in many ways a spiritual precursor to Richard Curtis' true masterpiece, About Time.

2010s Love Actually
Daniel: Damian Lewis
Sam: Milo Parker

6 comments:

  1. I really did not care much for this movie. The David/Natalie storyline was nothing remarkable, I literally don't remember a thing about the John/Judy and the Colin/Tony ones and I agree Sarah's storyline is very weak and especially disappointing because it could have been good. Although Bill Nighy was good, I didn't find the Billy Mack and Joe storyline very memorable either. I actually really don't like Jaime/Aurelia storyline, I didn't feel much of a chemistry between the two actors and I found it a bit corny. Loved the final scene of the Mark/Juliet/Peter storyline but what's before is not particularly remarkable and I agree the storyline should have had more screen-time to really flesh out the relationship between the three characters. Neeson's storyline is rather sweet, I don't necessarily love it but it's nice and heartwarming. My favorite storyline was actually the Harry/Karen one, especially because of Emma Thompson's fantastic performance: the scene where she listens to Joni Mitchell's album while crying silently kills me every single time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a killer scene. I can entirely see all your points.

      Delete
  2. Definitely a guilty pleasure of mine. I like the PM storyline more than you but that's about the only place we differ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, I don't think it's a very good film but I enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. I'll admit I'm the Grinch when it comes to this movie.
    There is not one story I can abide.
    They all cause me want to viciously chide.
    Alright Billy Mack is slightly tolerable.
    That is only because Nighy is rather adorable.
    For the rest is schmaltzy smut.
    Intolerable cheese that puts me in rut.

    I apologize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful. Maybe you can start doing the bonus rounds in poetic form?

      Delete