Saturday 20 August 2016

Year-by-Year: 1950s

1950
  1. Sunset Boulevard
  2. All About Eve
  3. Rashomon
  4. Harvey
  5. The Asphalt Jungle
  6. Winchester '73
  7. Cinderella
  8. Born Yesterday
  9. Father of the Bride
Best Director: Billy Wilder, Sunset Boulevard

Best Actor: James Stewart, Harvey

Best Actress: Gloria Swanson, Sunset Boulevard

Best Supporting Actor: George Sanders, All About Eve

Best Supporting Actress: Josephine Hull, Harvey

1951
  1. Scrooge
  2. Strangers on a Train
  3. Outcast of the Islands
  4. A Place in the Sun
  5. Ace in the Hole
  6. A Streetcar Named Desire
  7. The Lavender Hill Mob
  8. Alice in Wonderland
  9. The Browning Version
  10. The African Queen
Best Director: Brian Desmond Hurst, Scrooge

Best Actor (one of the greatest years of all-time for the category): 
  1. Michael Redgrave, The Browning Version
  2. Trevor Howard, Outcast of the Islands
  3. Robert Walker, Strangers on a Train
  4. Alistair Sim, Scrooge
  5. Montgomery Clift, A Place in the Sun
Best Actress: Vivien Leigh, A Streetcar Named Desire

Best Supporting Actor: Peter Ustinov, Quo Vadis

Best Supporting Actress: Kim Hunter, A Streetcar Named Desire

1952
  1. Ikiru
  2. The Quiet Man
  3. High Noon
  4. The Holly and the Ivy
  5. Limelight
  6. The Importance of Being Earnest
  7. The Sound Barrier
  8. Cry, the Beloved Country
  9. Sudden Fear
Best Director: Akira Kurosawa, Ikiru

Best Actor: Takashi Shimura, Ikiru

Best Actress: Joan Crawford, Sudden Fear

Best Supporting Actor: Barry Fitzgerald, The Quiet Man

Best Supporting Actress: Margaret Leighton, The Holly and the Ivy

1953
  1. Stalag 17
  2. Ugetsu
  3. From Here to Eternity
  4. The Wages of Fear
  5. Roman Holiday
  6. The Naked Spur
  7. Shane
  8. Julius Caesar
  9. The Big Heat
Best Director: Billy Wilder, Stalag 17

Best Actor: William Holden, Stalag 17

Best Actress: Audrey Hepburn, Roman Holiday

Best Supporting Actor: Robert Ryan, The Naked Spur

Best Supporting Actress: Deborah Kerr, From Here to Eternity

1954
  1. On the Waterfront
  2. Seven Samurai
  3. Rear Window
  4. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
  5. Dial M For Murder
  6. A Star is Born
  7. Hobson's Choice
  8. Sabrina
  9. The Caine Mutiny
  10. The Glenn Miller Story
Best Director: Akira Kurosawa, Seven Samurai

Best Actor: Marlon Brando, On the Waterfront

Best Actress: Eva Marie Saint, On the Waterfront

Best Supporting Actor: Lee J. Cobb, On the Waterfront

Best Supporting Actress: Thelma Ritter, Rear Window

1955
  1. Marty
  2. Night of the Hunter
  3. Bad Day at Black Rock
  4. The Ladykillers
  5. Lady and the Tramp
  6. Richard III
  7. Mister Roberts
  8. A Kid For Two Farthings
  9. The Trouble With Harry
  10. The Dam Busters
Best Director: Charles Laughton, Night of the Hunter

Best Actor: Ernest Borgnine, Marty

Best Actress: Katie Johnson, The Ladykillers

Best Supporting Actor: Jack Lemmon, Mister Roberts

Best Supporting Actress: Betsy Blair, Marty

1956
  1. The Ten Commandments
  2. Giant
  3. The Killing
  4. Attack
  5. The Wrong Man
  6. Lust for Life
  7. The King and I
  8. Godzilla
  9. The Man Who Never Was
  10. Moby Dick
Best Director: Robert Aldrich, Attack

Best Actor: Kirk Douglas, Lust for Life

Best Actress: Deborah Kerr, Tea and Sympathy

Best Supporting Actor: James Dean, Giant

Best Supporting Actress: Anne Baxter, The Ten Commandments

1957
  1. Paths of Glory
  2. Bridge on the River Kwai
  3. Heaven Knows, Mr Allison
  4. Twelve Angry Men
  5. The Seventh Seal
  6. Throne of Blood
  7. Sweet Smell of Success
  8. Witness for the Prosecution
  9. Wild Strawberries
  10. 3:10 to Yuma
Best Director: Stanley Kubrick, Paths of Glory

Best Actor: Alec Guinness, Bridge on the River Kwai

Best Actress: Deborah Kerr, Heaven Knows, Mr Allison

Best Supporting Actor: Sessue Hayakawa, Bridge on the River Kwai

Best Supporting Actress: Isuzu Yamada, Throne of Blood

1958
  1. Vertigo
  2. Ice Cold in Alex
  3. The Hidden Fortress
  4. Touch of Evil
  5. The Horse's Mouth
  6. Run Silent, Run Deep
  7. The Defiant Ones
  8. Dunkirk
  9. Separate Tables
  10. The Blob
Best Director: Alfred Hitchcock, Vertigo

Best Actor: James Stewart, Vertigo

Best Actress: Sylvia Syms, Ice Cold in Alex

Best Supporting Actor: Anthony Quayle, Ice Cold in Alex

Best Supporting Actress: Kim Novak, Vertigo

1959
  1. Anatomy of a Murder
  2. Hiroshima Mon Amour
  3. Ben-Hur
  4. North by Northwest
  5. Our Man in Havana
  6. The Devil's Disciple
  7. Diary of Anne Frank
  8. The 400 Blows
  9. Imitation of Life
  10. Rio Bravo
Best Director: William Wyler, Ben-Hur

Best Actor: James Stewart, Anatomy of a Murder

Best Actress: Emmanuelle Riva, Hiroshima Mon Amour

Best Supporting Actor: Joseph Schildkraut, Diary of Anne Frank

Best Supporting Actress: 
  1. Juanita Moore, Imitation of Life
  2. Lee Remick, Anantomy of a Murder
  3. Susan Kohner, Imitation of Life
  4. Shelley Winters, Diary of Anne Frank
  5. Eva Marie Saint, North by Northwest

8 comments:

  1. I really need to watch Ugetsu. Good to see an abundance of Kurosawa films in your lists, I consider him to be the greatest director of all time.

    On a side note, it's cool to see that Ben Foster is your winner for 2007, I love that performance and more people should know of it.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strongly recommend Ugetsu, haunting and incredibly moving film with some fabulous cinematography. I'm in complete agreement with you about Kurosawa. I still need to see a few more films of his from the 50s and 70s in particular, but he might just be my favourite director.

      I routinely flitted around with Foster, Finney and Zahn as my winner. I think Foster is here to stay though. He's in the most problematic film of the three and also technically the least focus, as his character could potentially just be another typical heavy. In Foster's hands he's a frissoning ball of terrifying vehemence, a self-imposed sense of grandeur, and repressed sexual feelings. A performance I love the more I think about it. What do you think of the film and the rest of the cast? I think it's good but its focus wavers a bit in the midsection, though the climax is brilliant. Crowe and Bale are really good, and I really liked Peter Fonda and Alan Tudyk, unfortunately Logan Lerman is pretty bad.

      Delete
    2. I think it is a very solid western, even if I think the last scene is a bit weak when I think about it. The relationship between the main characters is what makes it compelling, along with the character of Charlie Prince.

      I don't remember a lot about the other supporting characters, but I think Crowe is solid as usual, having fun with his character and contributing to the central relationship. I even prefer Bale because his character could have been bland and uninteresting, but he gives a poignant and honest portrayal that makes easy to understand why Wade is so interested in him.

      I haven't seen Zahn, but Finney is in my top 3 along with Bardem and Foster. Amazing work.

      Delete
    3. Zahn is definitely worth a watch. Bale is terrific in it too; it's one of his most intense, invested performances.

      Glad we agree about Finney. His final scene is AMAZING.

      Delete
  2. My winners out of what I've seen:

    1950 - Rashômon
    1951 - A Streetcar Named Desire
    1952 - Singin' in the Rain
    1953 - Tokyo Story (one of the best movies ever in my opinion)
    1954 - On the Waterfront
    1955 - Marty
    1956 - The Bad Seed (I still have a lot to see from that year, I personally don't care much for The Ten Commandments)
    1957 - Throne of Blood (I've yet to see Bridge on the River Kwai and Paths of Glory)
    1958 - Touch of Evil
    1959 - Anatomy of a Murder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Confession: need to see Singing in the Rain. I think I'd like it. And Tokyo Story too!!

      Can't recommend all that much from 1956 myself bit of a weak year overall. Bridge and Paths are both great.

      Delete
  3. Even when my #1 is not your #1, I still love your #1. I especially like seeing that you give Paths of Glory your 57 win. Did you re-watch Night of the Hunter, or is it a weak year for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like Kwai, but there's something very special about Paths of Glory that haunts me; in fact, Kubrick might be my win for the year too (though I'd say Guinness still has the slight edge over Douglas).

      I did re-watch Night of the Hunter. I loved its first two acts this time round, and while I still don't adore the way it ends and the child actors are awful, Laughton is my win for director now and I'll say the film is quite excellent. Marty is still by far my favourite film of an actually pretty good year for me (would say I love all my top 6), and Borgnine easily beats Mitchum (who is a 5 for me now).

      Delete