Sunday 24 July 2016

Thoughts on Comic-Con Trailers/News (Part II)


The LEGO Batman Movie
I actually still haven't managed to catch up with The Lego Movie, but even without having seen that this trailer tickled my funny bone and interest mightily. Will Arnett's Batman voice is quite something, and the other casting choices (Michael Cera as Robin? Zach Galifankis as the Joker? Ralph Fiennes as Alfred?) seem pretty spot on. The visual aesthetic might take a bit of getting used to, but the jokes all hit their mark quite well, and it's risen substantially up my list of anticipated films. 

Doctor Strange
Well I think I have my choice for second favourite trailer of this year's Comic-Con, after Wonder Woman. Most of Benedict Cumberbatch's big-budget Hollywood ventures thus far have involved him playing overhyped villains in the likes of The Hobbit trilogy and Star Trek: Into Darkness, so it's nice to see him take on a lead role this time, as what interestingly enough seems to be less of his usual acrebic Sherlock routine, and more of an everyman thrust into extraordinary circumstances. He's rid himself of his usual cutting and distinctive British accent for the role so that alone should be interesting to watch. Besides Ben, the film looks great on a visual level, more of a mindbender than anything else it seems. Anything that has Chiwetel Ejiofor or Tilda Swinton in it at the very least interests me, as the two just ooze gravitas by being in a film, and the brief appearances of Benedict Wong and Mads Mikkelsen, respectively a solid and charismatic British character actor, and a terrific and extremely underused Danish film star, seems to be icing on the cake, so here's hoping that this film pans out to be every bit as exciting and bold as this trailer promises.

Also, I admit that ending joke about the WiFi password, I found funnier than I probably should have.

Brie Larson is Captain Marvel
Interesting to discuss whether or not with her Oscar win, Brie Larson has properly broken out, I think this casting choice serves to strengthen the argument that indeed, she has. Well we haven't seen anything yet, but on paper this looks like perfect casting, and I hope she kills it. 

Vulture is the 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' villain
They haven't formally confirmed that Michael Keaton's the actor playing him, but that's my assumption. Anyway, I like the choice of villain, not a bad starting point for a new series and I hope they make a good leap from the solid benchmark that was Tom Holland's strong debut as Spidey in Captain America: Civil War. If they mend the Vulture well into the tone of the film, which I assume will be much in the vein of Holland's approach to the character, humorous and lighthearted with moments of weight and dramatic conviction, this could be a blast. 

'Black Panther' Casting Revealed
I'm loving this cast so far. I guess I might be the only one who thinks that Michael B. Jordan/Ryan Coogler could become the next De Niro/Scorcese pairing, but doesn't it excite you that Adonis Creed is going to be a complex, fiendishly clever villain in the form of Erik Killmonger? And Lupita Nyong'o and Danai Gurira are going to play supporting roles as well. Without knowing anything really about how it's all going to play out...this all sounds pretty cool. 

And if they ever do a Black Panther/Guardians of the Galaxy crossover we can bring Jordan and whatever Stallone's character in the latter is going to be playing together, right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment