Friday 22 April 2016

Revised List: Top 30 Best Actress

(STILL need to see: Imelda Staunton in Vera Drake. Laura Dern in Inland Empire, a LOT of Ingrid Bergman, a LOT more Bette Davis, I haven't seen a single film with Greta Garbo, Sally Field's Oscar-winning performances, any of Geraldine Page's Oscar nominations, Bjork in Dancer in the Dark, any Liv Ulmann performance,  Katherine Hepburn in The Lion in the Winter. I also need to re-watch Rebecca sometime soon. I think Fontaine is great in it but for some reason when I think of the film it's Olivier and Anderson's work which stands out for the the most)

(Also requiring rewatches even though I already love their performances: Deobrah Kerr in Heaven Knows Mr Allison, Sigourney Weaver in Aliens 2 and 3, Cate Blanchett in Elizabeth, and actually while we're talking about supporting Cate Blanchett in I'm Not There, Sandra Bullock in Gravity)

30. Audrey Hepburn, Roman Holiday

29. Felicity Huffman, Transamerica

28. Quvenzhané Wallis, Beasts of the Southern Wild

27.  Uma Thurman, Kill Bill


26. Jennifer Lawrence, Winter's Bone


25. Julianne Moore, Far From Heaven

24. Maggie Smith, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

23. Glenn Close, Dangerous Liasons


22. Charlize Theron, Monster


21. Faye Dunaway, Chinatown


20. Jessica Tandy, Driving Miss Daisy

19. Sissy Spacek, Badlands


18. Gloria Swanson, Sunset Boulevard

17. Pam Grier, Jackie Brown

16. Emmanuelle Riva, Hiroshima Mon Amour 

15. Natalie Portman, Leon the Professional

14. Holly Hunter, The Piano

13. Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn

12. Marion Cotillard, La Vie En Rose

11. Teresa Wright, Shadow of a Doubt

10. Carey Mulligan, An Education

9. Elizabeth Hartman, A Patch of Blue

8. Rooney Mara, Carol

7. Barbara Stanwyck, Double Indemnity

6. Olivia de Havilland, The Heiress

5. Kathy Bates, Misery

4. Naomi Watts, Mulholland Drive

3. Deborah Kerr, The Innocents

2. Vivien Leigh, Gone With the Wind

1. Celia Johnson, Brief Encounter

  1.  Rooney Mara, Carol
  2. Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn
  3. Emily Blunt, Sicario
  4. Cate Blanchett, Carol
  5. Carey Mulligan, Far From the Madding Crowd
  6. Brie Larson, Room
  7. Charlize Theron, Mad Max: Fury Road
  8. Alicia Vikander, Testament of Youth
  9. Carey Mulligan, Suffragette
  10. Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
  11. Daisy Ridley, Star Wars: The Force Awakens
  12. Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl
  13. Bel Powley, The Diary of a Teenage Girl
  14. Jennifer Lawrence, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part II
  15. Mia Wasikowska, Crimson Peak
  16. Olivia Cooke, Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
  17. Maggie Smith, The Lady in the Van
  18. Charlotte Rampling, 45 Years
  19. Helen Mirren, Woman in Gold
  20. Greta Gerwig, Mistress America
  21. Rebecca Ferguson, Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
  22. Lea Seydoux, Spectre
  23. Phyllis Smith, Inside Out
  24. Amy Poehler, Inside Out
  25. Lola Kirke, Mistress America
  26. Melissa McCarthy, Spy
  27. Dakota Johnson, Fifty Shades of Grey
  28. Amanda Seyfried, Ted 2
  29. Rebel Wilson, Pitch Perfect 2
  30. Lily James, Cinderella
  31. Emily Browning, Legend
  32. Hailee Steinfield, Pitch Perfect 2
  33. Anna Kendrick, Pitch Perfect 2
  34. Amy Schumer, Trainwreck
  35. Gwenyth Paltrow, Mortdecai
  36. Kate Mara, Fantastic Four
  37. Emilia Clarke, Terminator Genisys
  38. Mila Kunis, Jupiter Ascending

7 comments:

  1. Why did you rank Theron if you haven't seen her (I think she was your pick for 2003)?
    Anyway, very cool list, glad to see you loved Naomi in MD :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooops mistake, I originally meant to put her in the 'need a re-watch' list but after thinking more about it I put her back in (in case you're wondering, Kerr and Bullock just missed the cut!)

      Delete
  2. I can't say my opinion about most of the list since they were Oscar nominated but I love that you mentioned Sissy Spacek in Badlands, Teresa Wright in Shadow of a Doubt and Deborah Kerr in The Innocents.

    These are a few female leading performances I'd give a 5 to, I'd like to know what do you think of them:

    Ingrid Bergman in Notorius, Joan Fontaine in Letter from an Unknown Woman, Setsuko Hara in Late Spring, Simone Signoret in Les Diaboliques, Vanessa Redgrave in The Devils, Ruth Gordon in Harold and Maude, Liv Ullman in Autumn Sonata, Diane Keaton in Looking for Mr. Goodbar, Simone Signoret in Madame Rosa, Isabelle Adjani in Possession, Nicole Kidman in The Others and Dogville, Wei Tang in Lust Caution, Anne Dorval in Mommy, Marion Cotillard in The Immigrant, Scarlett Johannsson in Under the Skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you seen Mother (2009)? Kim Hye-ja's performance is absolutely brilliant.

      Delete
    2. I haven't yet, but I will definitely check it out!

      Delete
    3. Bergman: 4.5 (I don't love Notorious and find it to be lesser Hitchcock. However I will admit Bergman gives a very good performance that does help draw me into her character's predicament quite well.)

      Fontaine: Haven't seen her and I really should.

      Hara: Haven't seen here either.

      Signoret: REALLY need to see her.

      Redgrave: 5 (fantastic portrayal of unhinged madness and I must say she probably should be on the list too.)

      Gordon: 5 (I love this performance, I hesitate putting it on the list though because...well actually I have no reason not to. Ugh. This is tricky)

      Ullman: This is probably the one I need to see above all. Because it seems right up my street.

      Keaton: 5 (I hate that Keaton doesn't have a single entry on this list but she's truly great here, the film itself I'm a bit 'meh' about but she depicts the listless lust and neuroses of her character so powerfully)

      Signoret in Madame Rosa: I really need to watch more of her work.

      Adjani: I really need to watch more European performances.

      Kidman in The Others: 4.5 (she's really good in the role but unfortunately I always subconsciously compare her with Kerr's similar sort of performance in The Innocents which kind of affects it)

      Kidman: 5 (her best performance and perfectly depicts the very, very dark journey her character goes on)

      Wei Tang: need to see her.

      Dorval: Xavier Dolan is one director I've seen nothing of yet, and I am utterly shameful of not doing so.

      Cotillard in The Immigrant: I need a re-watch for her so hold off on thoughts for a bit.

      Johnansson: I haven't seen her yet but I really want to, I will say that the more I see of Johannsson the more I think I've wrongly judged her, she's bland in most of her bigger projects but I've now seen quite a few things of her where she's quite good in smaller-scale productions.

      Delete
    4. Alex: Her performance is one I need to re-watch too. Bear with me.

      Delete