Wednesday 30 December 2015

Award Choices 2015: Part II, Best of Film Music 2015

from weekendnotes.com
I should note that I won't be putting anything from 'Love & Mercy' on this list as the whole film itself deserves a list of excellent music moments in it. I thoroughly enjoyed it as an interesting take on the music biopic, an acting masterclass by Paul Dano and John Cusack (and the particularly underrated Elizabeth Banks), and of course the music of the Beach Boys. Dano has a wonderful singing voice (surprisingly) and a genuine sense of passion regarding music which he conveys so well in character in this film, which can be seen here:

His rendition of 'God Only Knows' is brilliant too:

And this is a non-musical but brilliantly acted scene:
And just so I'm not forgetting Cusack (damn I really underrated him before my re-watch of the film):

Seriously the more I think about this film the more I like it.

10. Anything from The Hateful Eight (which I haven't even seen yet)...because Morricone.

Yes, positively blasphemous. I have yet to be able to see The Hateful Eight anywhere which is just KILLING me as a massive Tarantino fan. But anyway Morricone, my all-time favourite composer, seems to have hit another musical home run with his soundtrack here. Reminds me a bit of his work on Once Upon a Time in the West. We'll see how it fits into the film soon enough but in the meantime, this is just great stuff on its own I felt I needed to share.

9. 'See You Again' by Wiz Khalifa ft. Charlie Puth (Furious 7)

I've kind of developed a dislike for Furious 7 as a film overall because of just how much the production company seem to be taking advantage of the Paul Walker tragedy to provide a financial boost for the franchise. Anyway I digress. As an action film didn't think it really stood out beyond the odd cool bit or two, but one thing I did like a great deal about it was the song 'See You Again' and of course, the ending, which I will admit brought a bit of a tear to my eye. Probably the only time a franchise I couldn't care less about has brought about such strong emotions. And also the only time I've liked anything involving Wiz Khalifa. If only the rest of the series could've been handled with such sensitivity.

8. Carter Burwell's theme for 'Legend'

Excellent work by Burwell here (though not his best of the year) as he tones down his usual (good) bombastic style into something decidedly more evocative of the vibes of 1960's London, whatever that means. It just sounds good to me, and actually fits in very well with the best tone the film has going for it; stylishly gritty.  

7. Thomas Newman's 'Standing Man' (Bridge of Spies)

Newman's wonderful score pulsates through one of the most magnificently delivered monologues of the year by Mark Rylance's Rudolf Abel. Instead of detracting from the excellent delivery and performance I feel it actually enhances the overall effect, and makes the story of the resilient 'standing man' and his resemblance to Tom Hank's James Donovan all the more striking and poignant.

6. 'Casadh an Tsúgáin' by Iarla ÓLionáird (Brooklyn)

Who doesn't love a little lovely Irish tune? Context is kind of crucial here as the way this song is employed to convey Eillis' longing for her hometown fits perfectly alongside Saoirse Ronan's . Anyway, regardless of whether you've seen the film or not, this is just lovely music.  

5. 'Writing's on the Wall' by Sam Smith (Spectre)

Confession: I think Adele's Skyfall is very overrated. Another confession: I think Sam Smith's Writing's on the Wall is perhaps the best Bond theme of all time, though Duran Duran are close behind.
Let the mockery begin.

4. 'Let No Man Steal Your Thyme' from Far From the Madding Crowd

Carey Mulligan's singing voice is just the most beautiful thing. Michael Sheen isn't too bad either. The song just comes at a perfect point in the film, so luminous and breathtaking in contrast to the subdued emotional turmoil persisting between the characters. Schoenaerts' reactions in this scene are heartbreaking too (Kerry if you're reading this I still disagree with you about him).

3. Carter Burwell's theme from Carol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZU-lDDx40s&list=PLPByCpdKvRmlyz6WrUrcljXs6cwjpnHTm you can listen to the whole lovely soundtrack here or alternatively, this is excellent too:
(skip to 1:43)
Ah Mr Burwell, you make your second entrance! Some have complained that this theme verges too closely to his own work on Mildred Pierce or the soundtrack to The Hours. I disagree. I think this music, aside from setting the film so beautifully in its time and place, is just the most mellifluous piece of orchestral harmony I've heard all year. Were it not for nostalgia getting the better of me it'd be right at the top.

2. STAR WARS THE FORCE AWAKENS JOHN WILLIAMS

That rapturous opening theme of course is just as beautiful and spellbinding as ever.
Rey's theme is excellent too. So adventurous, so vibrant, so full of energy just waiting to burst.
The scene where Finn reveals the truth to Rey about his background. Heartbreaking music to go along with the excellent dramatic work of John Boyega and Daisy Ridley.
Han and Leia reunite. Lovely music. Shame about the droid.
The Jedi Steps theme is brilliant, aiding to make the ending even more awesome than it already was.
And finally, at number one...

1. Ludwig Goranssan's 'You're a Creed' from Creed

One will need to watch the film itself to understand just how wonderfully the musical nostalgia of the Rocky films are embedded into the spinoff Creed's finale. It's the single most uplifting underdog moment of 2015 when we watch Michael B. Jordan's Adonis Creed get up for one last bout with Ricky Conlon and the music just comes in at the right time. I was waiting all film long for the familiar theme to ring out and I'm glad they drew it out as long as they did, making those final moments of the final fight, all the more exhilarating.

2 comments:

  1. The Oscar could potentially right two wrongs this year in regards to the music branch. Burwell finally being nominated (which seems so odd that's he's never been), and Morricone finally winning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait...has Morricone never won?

    *checks IMDB*

    WHAT IS THIS MADNESS.

    Bugger it, I think I'll root for him instead. I love Burwell's score, but Morricone needs to win something at some point, and by all accounts his soundtrack for The Hateful Eight is very worthy.

    ReplyDelete